Our History

We are proud of our history and our heritage, from early beginnings in 1888 to the present day.

1888

Sir Edward Cecil Guinness (the future 1st Earl of Iveagh) purchased the property from Samuel Bircham, son of Francis Bircham.

1906

Rupert Guinness leased the Burhill mansion (and land for two 18 hole golf courses) to a syndicate of local businessmen.

1940

The Ministry of Aircraft Production requisitioned the Club for use of a workforce of 200, headed by Barnes Wallis, creator of the famous ‘Bouncing Bomb’ whilst working at Burhill club.

1947

The Burhill Clubhouse was restored to the members.

1982

Hoebridge opened.

1991

Wycombe Heights joined BGL Golf.

1992

Thornbury Golf and lodge joined BGL Golf.

1992

Ramsdale joined BGL Golf.

1997

Birchwood Park joined BGL Golf.

1999

Building of the New Course at Burhill Club commenced. Work also began on the restoration of the mansion.

2001

The New Course at Burhill Club opened with the Clubhouse being officially re-opened by the 4th Earl of Iveagh on 3rd September.

2001

Abbey Hill joined BGL Golf.

2003

The Shropshire joined BGL Golf.

2006

Redbourn and Aldwickbury Park joined BGL Golf.

2011

Mr Mulligan's first site open at Abbey Hill, Milton Keynes.

2012

Mr Mulligans opened at Hoebridge in Woking and Ramsdale in Nottingham.

2014

BGL Golf emerges as the world’s first multisite operator to become GEO Certified at all its venues. Mr Mulligans opened at J32, Castleford.

2016

Burhill Golf Club hosts the Open Qualifier for the next 4 years. Mr Mulligans opened at Stevenage and Sidcup.

2017

Birchwood Park’s £5million Health & Fitness Club development launched.

2017

Mr Mulligans opened at Tonbridge and Cheltenham.

2018

Mr Mulligans opened at Newcastle, Milton Keynes (indoor) and Bournemouth.